You are being pulled over for speeding. Here are 7 tips on what you should do.
- Pull Over. As soon as you see the flashing lights behind you, pull over as quickly and safely as possible. This will help avoid any tension because the police officer will perceive your cooperation.
- Create a Safe Atmosphere. Turn on the light inside the car and keep your hands on the steering wheel. If police sense that you are rummaging through your car, they may grow suspicious and tense.
- Be Patient and Wait for Instructions. Allow the officer to approach your vehicle and request what he needs. Although you want to be cooperative, it is better not to appear “experienced” at what to do when pulled over by a police officer.
- Do Not Get Out of Your Car. Unless instructed by the police, do not exit your car. If you attempt to get out of your car quickly after being pulled over, you appear dangerous or at the very least argumentative to the police.
- Remain Calm and Follow Instructions. Listen to the officer and answer his questions clearly and concisely. A long, rambling answer may annoy the police officer.
- Do Not Admit Fault. It is never recommended to plead guilty; therefore, you should never admit fault to the ticketing officer. When he asks if you know why you have been pulled over, simply answer, “No, sir.” After all, you don’t know what is in his head.
- Use Your Manners. Speak calmly, respectfully and clearly when addressing the police officer. Be cooperative. When the police officer is finished, say “thank you.”
There is another tip, which was not listed and it is the most important: call a New York traffic attorney immediately before you respond to your ticket.
When a NY traffic lawyer pleads not guilty on your behalf to a New York speeding ticket charge, he can negotiate a favorable settlement, which oftentimes means a reduced charge, fewer points and lower fines. In addition, the NY traffic attorney represents you at all hearings so you do not have to travel to the town court and miss a day of work.
If you have been issued a NY speeding ticket, email or call 888-883-5529 for a free consultation.